Monday, January 21, 2008

Polenta Lasagna


My almost week hiatus was due partly to being busy, but also due to my stomach acting up, which caused me to not even want to think about food. It was so sad!

This was our dinner from sometime last week. I was a little worried about how it would taste at first, as I don't like polenta at all on its own, but it turned out really really good in this recipe. You can find a tube of polenta at Trader Joe's (or at least that's where I got mine) or the organic section of your grocery store.

Polenta Lasagna

adapted a bunch from Parents magazine, of all places

1 1/2 jars tomato sauce (1 jar would probably suffice)
1 green pepper, diced
1 cup baby spinach
1 tube of pre-cooked polenta, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
12 oz low fat ricotta cheese
1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat sauce in a skillet on the stove. (If you are adding meat to the recipe, brown meat in the pan then add sauce & simmer until warm.)

2. Spray small pan with cooking spray & heat spinach and green pepper on medium-low until cooked through. Add salt & pepper if you'd like.

3. In a casserole dish, pour 1/3-1/2 of the sauce. Layer with about half of the polenta slices, then add peppers and spinach. Scoop 1/2 the ricotta onto the polenta, then spread a layer of mozzarella. Add more sauce, polenta, ricotta, and then a last layer of sauce. Spread a thick layer of mozzarella on top, along with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.

Feel free to add other ingredients as you'd like! Tim ate it for lunch at least 3 days in a row, so it must have been good. :)

1 comment:

Gigi said...

I just bought a tube of polenta from Trader Joes and made polenta "fries". I still have a half a tube left, I think this weekend I'll make your polenta lasagna and use the rest up. Very cool blog by the way!