Sunday, September 28, 2008

Guiltless coffe cake!

I've been baking. And cooking. Probably more lately than usual. And yet, no posting...

Crazy, right?

In fact, I (ok, we, I didn't eat it all myself) just devoured this recipe without even thinking of taking a picture. (It was delicious, by the way. Make sure to try it!) Too hungry? Maybe. But I'd rather blame it on my camera. :) I'm just not excited about taking pictures anymore. I've been known to take hundreds of pictures in a night, but today I found myself walking out of the house to pick apples (hehe) without my camera, on purpose. I need a new camera.


Sometimes when I take photos, I get this:









Other times this:









But often the photo is mostly clear, except for a thick blue line across the top. Easily crop-able, but really not ideal.

So I'm looking for new cameras. Suggestions? Advice? I like compact cameras that I can easily carry around.

In the meantime, enjoy this banana coffee cake from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen. Delicious! I made a couple changes, most obvious being the addition of dairy & eggs...so check the original if you want the vegan version. This is a perfect recipe to start the day...especially if it's warm.

Banana Coffee Cake
adapted from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen

2.5 Tbsp egg whites
1/8 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/6 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
1/6 cup skim milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 Tbsp water
1/2 cup unbleached AP flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 medium banana, ripe

Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a small baking dish.

Mix 3 Tbsp brown sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Set aside.

Combine the yogurt, milk, vanilla, and 1/8 cup brown sugar in a bowl. Add the egg whites.

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and spread to cover the bottom. Slice the bananas and place the slices over the batter. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon-sugar. Spread the remaining batter over the bananas. Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon-sugar. Bake for 25 minutes, or until cake appears set in the middle. Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting into slices and serving.


I actually halved the original recipe & used a small pyrex bowl to make the coffee cake a bit deeper. I enjoyed it warm, and it was very moist & flavorful. And lots of healthy ingredients!

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Mmm, coffee cake!! Ironically, today (September 29th) is National Coffee Day :0)

Gigi said...

Fat free? I am so there! Thanks for an awesome recipe!

Anonymous said...

I have made that recipe too and I love it! I even froze sme and was able to have it later on... I brought it to a party and everyone loved it!

Andrea said...

I wish I had camera advice to offer you, but I really don't know much about it. I'll let people better informed than I help you out! But, your coffee cake looks delicious, so don't get too frustrated, because I really enjoy reading your blog!