Saturday, September 6, 2008

Blueberry (Banana) Pancakes

Finally took a Saturday morning to show Tim that pancakes are not always derived from Bisquick... ;)

These were really good. I have to admit that I'm not a fan of plain pancakes...and just throwing some blueberries in the batter won't cut it either. I usually like a little bit (or a lot a bit) of whole wheat in the batter, or some nuts for texture. In this recipe, the addition of banana satisfied my texture cravings. The flavor is not overwhelming, but instead is very complementary to the blueberries. I also added some cinnamon (of course) to give it an extra dimension. Oh, and vanilla. I loooove vanilla. At some point I'm going to get my hands on some vanilla beans, & then I am sure I will truly be in heaven.

I added the blueberries individually to the pancakes (plopped em on top of the batter before I flipped the pancakes) but feel free to fold them into the batter instead.

Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup skim milk
1 egg
1/2 small banana, mashed
1 cup unbleached AP flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries, rinsed

Stir together buttermilk, skim milk, egg, vanilla extract & banana. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar & cinnamon. Pour wet mixture into the dry mixture & blend until just combined.

Heat griddle or pan to medium. Spritz with cooking spray or add about 1/2 Tbsp of oil to the pan. Once oil or cooking spray is hot (water sprinkled in the oil sizzles), pour batter into the pan until the pancake reaches desired size. Add blueberries (by hand) to the pancakes, then wait 2 or 3 minutes or until bubbles form in the batter. Flip pancakes and wait another 2 minutes, or until 2nd side is golden. Remove pancakes from heat & enjoy immediately!

Makes about 10 pancakes.