Monday, July 7, 2008

Eggplant!

I bought an eggplant. Yes, that's a cause for celebration. You see, Tim's not exactly an eggplant kind of guy. So since he's out of town, I've been eating all the eggplant I can get. Nothing too complicated, and no eggplant parm, which is rather unfortunate, but I'm too hungry to take the time to make it when meal time arrives.

This afternoon I decided to fill a couple pitas. Not really a recipe, but delicious nonetheless. First I grilled the eggplant (ok, I lied. I george foreman'ed the eggplant) & sprinkled with salt & pepper. I just used two thick slices - one slice for each 1/2 pita. The eggplant was really quite delicious "grilled" & I'm sure I'll do it again soon.

For the 1st 1/2 pita, I spread red pepper hummus & stuffed it with the eggplant & some fresh spinach. I then put the pita back into the "grill" for a few minutes.

For the 2nd 1/2 pita, I spread some pesto on the inside & stuffed it with the eggplant. I also took some mozzarella & spread it on top of the eggplant.

They were both delicious. I thought for sure that I'd prefer the indulgent pesto mozzarella, but I actually liked them both equally. A perfect midafternoon meal. :)

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Mmm, such delicious ways to serve up the eggplant!

Gigi said...

I love egg plant grilled! And seeing all your eggplant has reminded me that I haven't had it in a long time. ...yummy!

eatme_delicious said...

Oh yum sounds like the perfect meal!

Mandy said...

we love all kinds of eggplants, fancy, italian, chinese, india etc, so this way of serving is right up my alley.