Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tortilla Pie

I made a delicious dinner tonight!

Ok, well while it was indeed delicious, it was hardly gourmet. But it made my stomach happy!

I got the recipe for tortilla pie from the allrecipes.com website, and I've made it a few times. The first time I made it, I just used one ingredient for each different layer, instead of mixing the ingredients together first. I didn't really notice a difference...the first time I think I also put in some brown rice, which gave it some more texture, but was hardly necessary since there are already plenty of carbs. Anyway, without further ado, here's the recipe:

Seven Layer Tortilla Pie
(adapted from allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (I used Trader Joe's Cuban Black Beans)
  • 1 cup salsa, divided into 1/4 and 3/4 cup
  • 1 (15 ounce) can refried black beans
  • 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (from a can) drained
  • 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
  • 6 or 7 (8 inch) flour tortillas
  • 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, mash pinto beans with refried black beans. Stir in 3/4 cup salsa.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together 1/4 cup salsa, black beans, green peppers, and tomatoes.
  4. Place 1 tortilla in a pie plate or tart dish. Spread 3/4 cup pinto bean/refried black bean mixture over tortilla to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top with 1/4 cup cheese, and cover with another tortilla. Spread with 2/3 cup black bean mixture, and top with 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layering as many times as you want!
  5. Cover with foil, and bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes. Cut into wedges, and serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired.
Basically this recipe is very forgiving. Add anything that you have around. Tim prefers it covered in loads of hot sauce :) but I think the flavor is just perfect the way it is. I hope you enjoy a nice easy dinner as I did!

No comments: