Ok, well while it was indeed delicious, it was hardly gourmet. But it made my stomach happy!
I got the recipe for tortilla pie from the allrecipes.com website, and I've made it a few times. The first time I made it, I just used one ingredient for each different layer, instead of mixing the ingredients together first. I didn't really notice a difference...the first time I think I also put in some brown rice, which gave it some more texture, but was hardly necessary since there are already plenty of carbs. Anyway, without further ado, here's the recipe:
Seven Layer Tortilla Pie
(adapted from allrecipes.com)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (I used Trader Joe's Cuban Black Beans)
- 1 cup salsa, divided into 1/4 and 3/4 cup
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried black beans
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (from a can) drained
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 6 or 7 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mash pinto beans with refried black beans. Stir in 3/4 cup salsa.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1/4 cup salsa, black beans, green peppers, and tomatoes.
- Place 1 tortilla in a pie plate or tart dish. Spread 3/4 cup pinto bean/refried black bean mixture over tortilla to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top with 1/4 cup cheese, and cover with another tortilla. Spread with 2/3 cup black bean mixture, and top with 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layering as many times as you want!
- Cover with foil, and bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes. Cut into wedges, and serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired.